Friday, December 31, 2010

Been in a Family Way

Which is my way of explaining not posting for weeks.  There has been much going on in the world at large -- the repeal of DADT, the possibility of murderous anarchy in the Ivory Coast -- and in the mini-universe of my own family (extended and otherwise).

The news round-up for my small world is:

1.  the world's tallest 4 1/2 year old is now smitten with Lady Gaga.  This is what happens when you let Uncle Mark babysit for a week.  Nuff said.  As long as this love affair doesn't get in the way of her getting a full scholarship to play basketball for UConn (which I assume will still be a powerhouse in 2024) then I'll turn a blind eye ....

2. Daughter No. 1 is getting married on her 30th birthday, a day I've always called One Onedy One Onedy One (01/11/11).  It's bittersweet; she and Son-in-Law No. 1 have been together for several years, and will have a good good marriage, of that I'm sure.  But, frankly, I know I'm losing her and with that realization comes sorrow.  As it has always been it will always be.  I know I'll get over this transitional grief and when I do I will become annoyingly relentless about grandbabies.

3.  This morning we will head out for the East Village to have New Year's Eve dinner with Mel and Fred.  Being with old friends tonight (and at Christmas) is a remarkable feat.  People who have known you and who you've known carry your history.  I continually learn who I was and who I am now through them.

As for the traditional festivities,  I won't make any pretense of staying up until midnight.  Rest assured I am as happy as the next person to wake up in the morning which is celebration enough these days.  And, have you noticed that the friends who send photos on or with their holiday cards are the friends who drink Elixir de Dorian Gray?  Gawd, don't you people ever age?  Can't you leave anything up to the imagination?

Happy New Year to You.  I hope we all have the grace we'll need.

No comments:

Post a Comment