Saturday, November 12, 2011

Without Irony: Somebody Think of the Children

In our age of moral ambiguity (which age hasn't been an age of ambiguity?) we welcome an event, even a tragic one, that presents a bright, clear demarcation of Right vs. Wrong.  We can express our outrage without looking over our shoulder fearing that we've offended someone else's balkanized state of mind.  We can be sure; be right.

For a time the soul-searching aftermath of September 11th provided that moral relief.  Now it is the Penn State rape (not sex abuse, for chrissakes) scandal.  I cannot, and I'm not alone in this by any means, stop reading about it.  Sportswriters, clergy, common people young and old, mental health professionals, fathers and mothers, athletes pro and amateur, all speak to it.  I've read commentary from atheists who long, just for once, to believe in hell; and from the doubting faithful who are one step closer to letting go of God.

What I will add is that I am grateful that I am part of a culture that is still horrified by adults who have sex (whether by violent force or seductive coercion) with children.  I've been to or know of places where that is not so.

And, too:  I predict Joe Paterno will be dead within a year.

A supplementary commentary by Claire Potter, on her blog Tenured Radical.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment