Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday Poetry: Leonia's Lament



an excerpt from The Cat Lover (Act II of Scenes From American Life), a collaboration with composer Roberto Pacé

(This act is set in the City.  The action takes place in bedrooms, a beauty parlor, doctors’ offices, and an analyst’s office.  There are several dyads [or chairs to represent the missing member of a dyad].  The pairs are:  doctor/patient, beautician/client, man/woman, husband/wife, woman/cat, analyst/analysand.)

(Solitary woman with cat begins singing to the audience.  Eventually she is joined by a person in a white coat, evidently a physician, and she tells the physician about a troubling ailment.)

Leonia:                   I have a feeling that something’s wrong
terribly wrong.
My Persian, Tutti
makes me red.
My body gets inflated
I start to cry
when I touch dear Tutti’s head.
I have a feeling that something’s wrong
terribly wrong.
I’m crying
for no reason at all
(for no reason at all).
I’m dying when sweet Tutti flicks me
with his tail.

My eyes are red.
My body gets inflated
whenever my Tutti licks me.

I start to cry.
I don’t know why.
I’m gonna die
whenever sweet Tutti flicks me
with his tail.

I’m crying…
I’m dying…

I think of marriage, I confess
when I fear I cannot keep my pet.
Am I allergic to the hair of
other mammals?
(Sometimes I can't stand my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment