Saturday, August 31, 2013

I May Be Wearing White After Labor Day

If only to signal my surrender.

Class started on Thursday.  It is called Algebraic Structures.  I thought it might be a survey course on bridges and buildings built from first-degree equations.  I was wrong.  For the first hour I was following along, my head nodding as the professor's hand danced over the board.  Then he started to do matrices to solve for systems of linear equations and all of a sudden the board was analogous to the meta-joke about telling familiar jokes:  These guys had all been in prison together for a long time and a new inmate arrived.  When it was night and lights out, someone said, "16" and everyone cracked up. Someone else said "23" and people cracked up again. Someone else said "45" and everyone was rolling.  The new guy asked his cellmate what was going on and was told that they'd all been together so long, and knew all the jokes that instead of reciting the whole joke they'd numbered them.  And I'm sitting there going, What the hell?!?!?!?!???  What have I gotten myself into now?

I better check and see if the Sushi and Vegan Pastry Institute of Lower Transylvania will take me as a grad student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment