Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Hate Summer, 2014 edition

It's not that it's been a particularly bad summer.  In my role as Stoic Eco-Queen I try not to run the A/C too much and so far I've succeeded.  The worst thing that has happened is the Allergy Malady and I continue to remain in denial that my front and back yards have become a menace.  I am growing all kinds of flora in the front; some of it I recognize, others are "migrants". (True gardeners call them "volunteers" which I've never understood because if you were a seed and the wind blew you into my yard, or a cat shat (thank you! Dr. Seuss) you into my soil would you say that you had volunteered to grow there?  I mean, if you were a seed.)  Some of my migrants are undoubtedly weeds and drive the people who walk around with spray cans full of Round-Up mad.  I keep them because I'm curious, wondering what they will become.

One such plant with large lozenge-shaped leaves produced aureoles of delicate pale white flowers.  Now that those have died it's producing pods the size of a Christmas ornament.  And this is where the Annie Dillard in me stops and girl who watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers one time too many takes over.  I am actually expecting them to develop into pod people.  I fully expect to come downstairs in mid-August, make my espresso, sit in the dining room window and only to find that Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter have metastasized right before my very eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment