Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday Poetry: The Box Step


Having spent years with her body
(loved more than my own)
my beautiful daughter is a thing I know.

A daughter soon to be my height.
Gone beyond my cervix
(that tough and ugly organ
who almost stopped her flight).

My hands read her tender soles.
She is limbs elongated
poised for womanhood.
Buttocks unselfconscious
beckon man and beast alike.

I walk her ribs at night.
My solicitous fingers find the nipples
grown last summer
protrusions that foreshadow blood,
the fights.

I'm in her way now.
But not for long.

Still my little girl, this night.
The one who tells me
that next year is the prom.
A prom?  I think of her beauty so new.
Of its rocks and shoals of attraction.

I turn off the iron, collapse the board.
The turntable offers La Divine.
My sturdy left hand cups the small
of her swayback.
Come, and she follows my right
as it wafts upward.

Her butterflied fingers alight my shoulder.
I kiss her forehead and take the lead.
She looks down at our feet.
We don't breathe.

Somehow knowing, she steps back on her right.
Together, I whisper.
Step?
Yes.  Then close.
Together.  We sigh.
Step.  Close.
She nods understanding
her hand on my shoulder, squeezing
in answer to commanding feet.
I kiss her cheek.

We box step
suffused with longing.

Pretend, I tell her, that I am the Boy.
The first with undulating voice.
He gives you a kiss
and betrays your symmetry.
He will.  I know this.

She looks at me and sees that
we have made boxes.
Two small boxes.
We step together
at this moment
in a way we
will never
again.
Step close.

No comments:

Post a Comment