Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rumor Has It

... that it's Black History Month.  I forgot.  An easy thing to do when you're as untethered to any institution as I am right now (discounting the institution of marriage which knows no Black or White, or any Wrong or Right.)  You know I'm kiddin' about marriage, right?

Anyway, I finally copped on to the fact that it was time for our annual and peculiarly American malady, Racial Reaction Formation, when I started to read fascinating longform pieces that dealt with the history of 20th century American race relations in its many manifestations.  It's much on my mind as I prepare myself to enter what has become Ground Zero in American inequality, the nation's public schools.

Here's a link to Part I of Tanner Colby's multipart piece in Slate, The Massive Liberal Failure on Race, and yes, the title sounds like the clickbait it's supposed to be.  But, you know what?  I largely agree with what he's written.

No comments:

Post a Comment