Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturday Poetry: Eight Post Meridiem



It's spring
yet Winter’s resentful of its diminution and
comes back to haunt us today.
We who have them, unearth the
scarves and mittens and caps that
flew into the laundry basket
for washing and putting away.

Finished with homework she consents
to walk to the co-op for food.
I was girded to resort to censure:
I'm not the only one who eats in this house, y'know...
I've work all week and I’m tired.
She soothes me, the gift of her company.

We walk together, minutes into
the bracing cold
gossiping to keep ourselves warm.
She tells me that she is through with her posse.
She is not hanging out
with them any more.
She tells me where they were supposed to meet, how she waited.
Then looked for them at the Burger King.
They weren't there
and she went to the take-out Chinese
where they weren't, either.
In the street was the principal
who gets mad if she sees you eat
outside.

It’s after lunch that she finds them
and she lays down the law:
I'm not waiting for anybody.

Thinking of all
the boys who have broken my heart
all the phone calls that
still don't come
I tell her, it's a good way to live.

Fortified she interrupts:
I'll hang with anybody
I don't have to stay with one group.
She boasts how easily she can make herself welcome.

We are halfway there,
Winter’s been forgotten.
I am proud of my level-headed girl
Grateful for this inadvertent canal
between chores
to learn who she is
and love her even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment