Friday, September 21, 2012

This Is What Being slightly < 60 Look Like

This is what getting older is like: Turns out I have sciatica.  I can pinpoint when it would have started over 20 years ago.  A 3 mile stroll down Flatbush Avenue on a blistering August day with 9 year old chatting me up and a suitcase on my back.  (Another day, another dispatch.)  Undiagnosed, ignored, I'm now certain it is the cause of the burning, rubber-banded, hey-did-I-step-on-a-bottle-cap? feeling I often have in my right leg.  But you know what?  I'm so bored by all the maladies large and small that visit me at this age, I haven't even bothered to google it.  Meh.  I'll see my internist soon enough.  "Doctor, will I ever be able to dance the Running Man again?"  Ha, ha cuz I couldn't dance it before .....  (Snares, please!  Rimshot!)

So, quiz #1 is over.  I barely got half the problems right.  I could have done better were it not for a stupid stupid mistake on a truth table.  Forewarned, as they say, is forearmed.  But, what really blows my whistle is that there isn't a person in that class of that thinks I should be there.  Here's what I've learned in 3 semesters:  that the higher you go in mathematics the whiter and more male it gets.

Don't these boys know I grew up in I-O-W-A where underestimating and denigrating negroes is and always has been a sport and a pasttime?  And don't these boys knows that they've wakened the competitiveness in Aunt Jemina?

It's on, ya'll ...

No comments:

Post a Comment